Tuesday 16 July 2013

Day 9 - Nikko World Heritage

I slept till about 8 this morning, and took a look out the window. The views were just stunning, we were in such a secluded spot. Scout made some really good blueberry pancakes, and we lounged around in the common room, just chatting, one of the Australians was playing the guitar quietly. It could not have been a more easy going, relaxing start to the day.



We left around 11ish, and got to the Shrines about an hour later, with various stops on the way. I was introduced to the music of 'Naked and Famous' on the way, which I really enjoyed. We wandered around the shrines for about 2 hours, it didn't take very long at all. They were beautiful though, very similar to some Chinese shrines I've seen what with all the red and gold. We saw the original 3 monkeys statue  (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil) and all the decoration on all of the structures was incredibly intricate and beautiful. I would say however, that I enjoyed the scenery around the temples the most. So lush and green, and we saw a random deer amongst the trees at one point, which was slightly unexpected.









It was a lovely way to spend the rest of my time in Nikko, but I had to leave quite soon to get back to Tokyo in order to get my JR pass sorted out. We managed to see all the shrines we wanted to, then I left and got back to Tokyo around 6ish. After getting my pass, I found my way to the hotel I was staying at, then went out to look for some food. The only restaurant I could see on my street in the darkness was right next to the hotel, but I realised as soon as I entered that it was an Indian restaurant! I was too tired at this point to care, however, so I had some butter chicken, then went back to the room. Skyped with family, had a shower, and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment