Thursday 25 July 2013

Day 19 - Hiroshima, the Dome and Peace Museum

Couldn't find the will power to drag myself out of bed at 7am this morning, so I slept in before getting the Shinkansen to Hiroshima. I had to transfer at Shin-Osaka, because the only direct trains were on the 'Nozomi' Shinkansen, which isn't included in my Japan Rail Pass. It was ok though, and I arrived at around 12:30. I found my hostel and checked in, then headed out to the Memorial Peace Museum and the Dome which has been preserved since the bombing.

The dome

A Memorial


Hiroshima looks beautiful now, it's a very nicely built city with a beautiful park and great tram system (Flat rate of 150yen, that's £1.) It's hard to believe how bad the damage was in 1945.



The museum, as I had expected, was extremely sad. I didn't take any pictures inside, I didn't want to remember what I was seeing. But I had see it - It made the current state of the city look even more impressive. If the preserved dome ruin wasn't there, you couldn't guess what happened, although I guess it was 68 years ago...still.

I loved the park around the dome and museum though, it was so nice. I sat on a bench for a while, and an old lady came up to me and asked if I understood any Japanese. I said a little, and then she asked me to put my hands together and close my eyes for one minute. She stood in front of me as I did what she said, and prayed (I think) for a minute. I must admit, I did glance at her feet once or twice to check that she was still there, but she stayed and when she was done she just said goodbye and left! It was bizzare, but it seemed to make her happy.

I also found a new drink today. I don't know if anyone reading this has noticed, but various countries around the world have their own unique Fanta flavours. In Nicaragua it was Rose flavour, Pomelo in Argentina,  Lychee in Cambodia etc etc.

Today, I found plum flavour! I didn't even realise until I saw the characters うめ on the front, which says 'ume' which means plum. I got so excited. It was nice, I can't believe I hadn't seen it before. They are mad for Grape flavour here, so I had seen grape everywhere, but never plum...Strange things make me happy :P



Anyway, I went back to my hostel, had a shower and then found the common room. I met two German students, and then I went downstairs to join the  'Okonomiyaki party' in the lobby. Hiroshima is famous for Okonomiyaki. Its a layer of pancake, with cabbage, bacon, spring onions and beansprouts in the middle, topped with an egg, mayo, special okonomiyaki sauce, bento flakes and seaweed, all cooked on a hot plate. It's seriously yummy, and it was eat as much as you want for just 300yen tonight!

My german friends joined me, and I spent most of the evening talking with a lovely Japanese lady who wanted to practice her English. It was really good fun.



A bunch of us are going to go to Miyajima island tomorrow, which will be nice. Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment