Monday 29 July 2013

Day 23 - Aquarium and Dotonbori

It took me 7 trains to get to the aquarium this morning. It should have taken me 2. It's because whilst I was on the train to the correct station, I was misled by my guide into thinking that I had to go to a different station, so I transferred twice to get to that station, then realised I was in completely the wrong place, met two Swiss brothers who were also trying to get to the aquarium, then we all made our way to the correct station, which required 3 more trains. It was frustrating, but I had company for the second half, and I was under no time pressure. We finally made it to the aquarium around midday, after about 2 hours, and stopped to get lunch before going in.



The aquarium was very busy, despite it being a weekday. There were lots of elderly people and lots and lots of very little people, but despite this, it was still a nice aquarium. All my pictures are rubbish from  the low light, and I'm not sure how good my videos are either, but the whale sharks were very cool. I also loved the jellyfish, but the highlight for me were the Japanese Giant Spider Crabs that stood on their back 6 legs with their front two raised up. They were so massive, and so creepy, and I don't think I had seen that type of crab before, so that was my favourite part.


These are from Google Images...Mine were rubbish.

It only took around an hour and a half to go around, and the weather was so bad today that I didn't think it was worth going on the Ferris wheel nearby, so we went briefly into the 'Marketplace' opposite the aquarium, but it was basically a small mall. I did buy some Hello Kitty chopsticks though, just because I couldn't leave Japan without having purchased something from one of the many Hello Kitty shops. Yes, they have whole shops dedicated to Hello Kitty merchandise. This country is crazy for kitties.

I went back to my hostel around 3ish and on my way, as I was going up the escalator in the subway station, I saw a girl going down waving at me and I realised they were the cousins I had met in Nijo Castle in Kyoto! What a little coincindence! Anyway back at my hostel I had some down time before heading out to a place called 'Dotonbori' which is basically this long street with loads of alleyways and there are just hundreds of shops and restaurants, and it's all lit up and lively at nighttime. I started walking down the main street and I thought I saw the same guy that I had shown the way to the hostel in Hiroshima, but he didn't see me and I wasn't sure it was him, so I walked on.

Then I turned around. If it was him, I couldn't just ignore him, and sure enough, he saw me and he was the same person! Crazier coincidence! We found a busy Okonomiyaki place (someone had said to me in Hiroshima that the Okonomiyaki here is really different to in Hiroshima and that I had to try it) and ate outside in the main street. I found out that he was a high school teacher of Maths and Geography, which made me feel a little weird at first because all of a sudden I felt like I was hanging out with one of my teachers in Osaka :P but we chatted for like an hour after eating and it was just really awesome.




Dotonbori itself was a really cool street with crazy things above restaurants like a giant octopus and a giant crab and dragons. And everything was lit up, and it was really bustling with people. The atmosphere was just great, I may go back tomorrow night :P







But for now, I'm really tired, as you may have already garnered from the quality of writing in this post, so I'm going to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment