Tuesday 30 July 2013

Day 24 - Shitennoji Temple, Osaka Castle, Tempozan Giant Ferris Wheel and Dotonbori again. Whew!

This morning my Dorm-mate and I went to Shitennoji temple, the oldest buddhist temple in Japan. We were lucky enough to be there to witness the morning prayer, which was really cool. There were about 5 monks, and thy sang their prayer in unison (sort of) and it was very interesting to watch. After a while they started to circle the big buddha statue in the middle, and when they got to the front again, they'd throw a few pieces of coloured paper, like big confetti. Then they'd start to circuit round again, and this other monk or temple worker or something would come and quickly pick up all the bits of paper from the floor. Then the monks would get back to the front and throw more paper! And the poor guy just kept cleaning up after them. I felt a little bit bad watching him, but it was also kind of amusing...




After that, we went to Osaka castle. It was slightly different to Matsumoto, in that it was so newly rebuilt, and there was an elevator inside and air conditioning throughout the building. And marble floors. Basically it was a new building, with an old-style exterior. The outside did look really nice though, and the views at the top were pretty awesome. While in the castle I bumped into the girl I met in Miyajima, and the German teacher from last night!

Dorm-mate and I



I went to the bay area on my own after that because the weather was good and  I wanted to go on the ferris wheel. I waited a little longer to go in the transparent car (of which there are only 4), but it was really worth it, the views were so good, I only wish I had more time in there! It was about 15 minutes to go round once.








I headed back to the hostel to get showered up and then Justine and I headed out back to Dotonbori because I realised I hadn't seen the most famous attractions! The running Glica mad and the river! So we went and got our picture there, then we went looking for some food and I found a really good gyoza (dumpling)  place :)







For dessert, we went to Starbucks. Before you say or think anything, I know Starbucks is a rip off and it isn't even Japanese etc etc. But I couldn't just walk past a green tea frappuccino without trying it once! And it was really good! A lot of people don't seem to like the green tea flavour very much, but I love it :)


Only in Japan would they hand write 'Thank You' on every cup...


We headed home after that, and I have just finished packing fro Tokyo tomorrow. I can't believe it's already time to go back to Tokyo...but I'm really looking forward to seeing my family there again.

Till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment